Miss me ?

Wonder how come you didn’t find my usual drivel in your Inbox or (ugh !) Reader today ? Well, in the event that anyone did, I don’t have an excuse – but I do have an explanation.

I am completely hooked on “Outlander”. Like, COMPLETELY. In fact, I am a total ADDICT.

My young sister (whose fault all this is !) and I were discussing on the ‘phone this-morning how pathetic we both are. Briefly. And then we agreed that it’s not pathetic at all: it’s just that Gabaldon knows how to write to please readers on so many levels. Not on all, I admit freely – there are some things I’d like less of and some more of; there’s the fact that I don’t like the narrator’s ‘Claire’ voice when she’s delivering dialogue… but they are so small, these dislikes.

The fact is that I’ve been playing disk after disk in slightly manic fashion, and have now [sob !] finished. It was only 28 disks, after all …

And it’s been made into a TV series, with close involvement from Gabaldon herself. Paula tells me it starts on Soho (Fox cable TV) THIS WEEK. [sob !] I can’t afford cable TV, and can only wonder how long it’s going to take to come out on DVD. It’ll probably cost more than a six-month subscription to Fox … Hmmmm …

74 responses to “Miss me ?

1. Master of Something Yet August 4, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I feel like I’ve been talking to you so much this week, I didn’t even notice you missing. :P

[looks around] I know where you can get that. Episode 1. Now. Free. [looks around] [whispers] Meet you behind the shelter sheds. [winks]

• M-R August 4, 2014 at 8:27 pm

You are a repulsive person, HD !!!! [grin]
      I was being silly, you know, with the “miss me ?” – as if anyone would over the course of a single day ! Well, other than going to bed thinking “My day seems to have gone well … what is it that makes me think so, I wonder …?” :-D
      Paula has just sent me another one from Audibubble !!!

Liked by 1 person

2. Jackie August 4, 2014 at 8:25 pm

After all your raving about how good it is I will now have to check out this book! I’ve just downloaded a sample to my Kindle. :-)

• M-R August 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Do you have any romantic blood in your veins, Jackie ? – OF COURSE you do ! No-one who takes photos like yours couldn’t have none.
      I don’t mean like Mills & Boone, I promise.
      No spoilers.
      Just try it …

3. bkpyett August 4, 2014 at 8:38 pm

I love spoilers!! Glad you enjoyed the series. :-)

4. Master of Something Yet August 4, 2014 at 8:39 pm

As someone who stood on Culloden Moor and wept – such is the strength of her Scottish heritage – this sounds like a book I should read. But it will have to wait as a certain book arrived in the mail today that demands my immediate attention.

5. J.D. Gallagher August 4, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I just asked you if this was any good and then it pops up on my Reader. Ask and you will receive.

• M-R August 4, 2014 at 9:14 pm

So there you go. I have no idea who would like it and who wouldn’t; but it’s possible that it’s more of a woman’s book than a man’s. Honestly don’t know !

6. Elaine @ foodbod August 4, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I’ve never even heard of this series?!

7. joannesisco August 4, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I have not heard of this book or TV series so I looked it up. It looks interesting – I’ll have to check it out – I’m looking for something new to sink my teeth into :)

8. Sue Slaght August 4, 2014 at 11:37 pm

This addiction sounds like the right kind and nothing to apologize for that’s for sure M-R. :)

• M-R August 5, 2014 at 5:50 am

How are the votes going, mad one ? ;-)

• Sue Slaght August 5, 2014 at 6:01 am

A distant second unfortunately. Looks like I may just have to book this one on my own. :) Thanks for asking M-R

• M-R August 5, 2014 at 6:02 am

BUMMER !!! But you have so many followers !
          I s’pose it’s a competition between one’s follower numbers, when it comes down to it …
          :-\

• Sue Slaght August 5, 2014 at 6:05 am

Well in this case M-R it comes down to understanding social media. The blogger who today is suddenly way ahead is getting his votes all on something called StumbleUpon. I believe he has been clever enough to get his entry to go viral. All beyond me but I have had had great support from the WordPress community and my family and friends.

• M-R August 5, 2014 at 6:12 am

I do wish social media didn’t exist – well, other than blogging. It’s quite insane.
              This comp. will be the JetPacking company’s way of raising their profile within social media – and it sure seems to’ve worked …

9. The Rider August 5, 2014 at 1:39 am

Not as scarce as me, with a case of total writers block… acute case. Don’t know what “Outlanders” are- some Aussie blokes on a walkabout in the bush?

10. NW Frame of Mind August 5, 2014 at 1:47 am

The first three books are my favorites but each one isn’t to be missed. :) I hope you can continue to block out a LOT of time. :)

• M-R August 5, 2014 at 5:52 am

I now have both “Dragonfly in Amber” and “Voyager” via Audibubble, so I don’t think there’s much chance I shan’t, Lisa ! :-D

11. eschudel August 5, 2014 at 2:39 am

Guess it’s time – I’ve been putting off starting these books, but I don’t think I can put it off anymore. Sigh…

12. huntmode August 5, 2014 at 6:03 am

M.R. – I am grinning from ear to ear. Tess and I got into a conversation on this series with my raving about it. She actually had it on hand, but hadn’t read it yet. Oh, such envy on my part. From what you write, I can’t tell if you only read “Outlander,” or continued in the series. If you’ve only read the first one – oh, you are in for such a treat! Isn’t Jamie a dream?! Grin. No fair telling any details. When I found it back in the 90s, I bought the first one and halfway through, raced back to the bookstore for the 2nd and 3rd. Then, I sent it out like a virus through my friends, into work and it was so popular, we’d come into the break room and 7 or 8 women would be reading and raving about it – the number one rule was you had to know what book someone was on so you didn’t spoil it for them. :)

• M-R August 5, 2014 at 6:10 am

The moment I finished the first one, Huntie, I rushed in here to the PC and fired up Audible, ordering “Dragonfly in Amber”. Then about two hours later, Paula (my young sister) sent me an Audible gift of it !!!! – but I was able to get a credit on that and get “Voyager” instead.
      Have just started “DinA” and am fairly taken aback … Glad you lot are so wedded to NO SPOILERS !!!
      It’s a bit late in my life to become an addict of a book series; but hey, whyever not ?! :-D

• huntmode August 5, 2014 at 6:30 am

M.R., what utter nonsense is this ~ “…It’s a bit late in my life to become an addict of a book series; …” Why else do we write, M.R.? Silly woman. I’ve several people who picked it up on my recommendation to read on the plane to visit family or friends…. grinning, they’d get off the plane and keep reading in the car and … and…. Grin. Sort of like what happened with my cruise and the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series!

• M-R August 5, 2014 at 6:32 am

Historical fiction is my speed, really …
          Maybe you should try Hilary Mantel’s Man-Booker Prize-winning series that starts with “Wolf Hall” …

• huntmode August 5, 2014 at 6:40 am

I’ve been reading historical fiction since I was 12, M.R. – it accounted for all my A’s in history! Did a quick check on the Wolf Hall – thanks! Did you know it is now a TV series? Have you ever caught the series, “Foyle’s War” – fabulous TV series – superb cast and stories.

• huntmode August 5, 2014 at 6:32 am

Oh, I just translated your DinA” – I read it as dina – I get it. While I enjoyed D in A, Voyager was my favorite. :)

• M-R August 5, 2014 at 6:35 am

Better than “Outlander” ?

• huntmode August 5, 2014 at 6:42 am

Ummm, hard call – perhaps it was so good in comparison to D in A – she had to set up various story lines and I think, from what she said in interviews, Outlander began as a novel in a writing class and she could not get that woman to behave! The joy of fiction when the characters take over.

• ChristineR August 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm

“It’s a bit late in my life to become an addict of a book series; but hey, whyever not ?”

Just imagine, when you’re REALLY old, you can while away your days listening to these all over and over again! :D

13. hilarycustancegreen August 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

This great work has not reached the UK, or if it has out has passed under/over my radar.

14. bluebee August 5, 2014 at 8:04 am

Don’t know this one, M-R. Am still waiting for the Husband to catch up on ‘The Bridge’ so we can continue with that. And am now into second semester, so no leisurely watching/reading for me. Ho-hum.

15. gerard oosterman August 5, 2014 at 8:22 am

Never heard of it and I could not connect to the trailer. Is it as good as ’80 days around the world by J.Verne?’ I generally avoid things with large swords in it. I’ll give anything a go though and will persevere.

• M-R August 5, 2014 at 9:12 am

Personally I might even give the TV series a miss: the books will more than likely be good enough for me.
      I don’t think I can bear the changes that have to be wrought to a story to turn it into a screenplay.

16. bikerchick57 August 5, 2014 at 11:35 am

Natasha and I have been watching Star Trek DS9 every night for several weeks now on Netflix. We are hooked. So, you go ahead and watch Outlander. I think it’s highly acceptable.

17. restlessjo August 5, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I seldom get to my Reader any more but when I saw your ‘cheer up you miserable bastard’ comment in the Rider- well, what could I do but visit? :)

18. Mary August 5, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Great, you just had a fantastic weekend being totally immersed in Outlander – 28 discs! Oh my the world went right by you, lol and you were happy as all can be. Good for you!

19. kaytisweetlandrasmussen83 August 6, 2014 at 6:00 am

Sounds as if we have something to look forward to! Haven’t heard of it as yet over here. We are immersed in “The Grand Hotel” Spanish language mystery 42 episodes. We always have to watch “just one more”—-

20. Paula August 6, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I trust your tastes so will check it out :D

21. Chitra Jagadish August 7, 2014 at 7:00 am

M-R i did miss you and beleive me just scrolled my reader twice to cross check if i missed your post by any chance and later realised you are missing not your post….Ha ha…..

22. Silver in the Barn August 8, 2014 at 6:39 am

Well, I’m a firm believer in listening when the universe whispers to me. First I heard of Outlander was in this post- evidently living under a rock or something – and now I am catching up on my reading and see a headline in the Wall St. Journal: The Mother of All Highland Flings with a glowing review of the series. Therefore I must now dip into this book to see what all the kerfuffle is about. BTW, the reviewer is in agony as she only received the first six episodes.

• M-R August 8, 2014 at 6:49 am

[grin] I can relate to that very well !
      I do hope you derive enjoyment from it, Barbara – it would be awful if you were to find it unrewarding – especially after all that buildup !

• Silver in the Barn August 8, 2014 at 6:54 am

Not to worry, M-R. I am used to that, frankly, as my reading tastes are…a bit unconventional. I am reminded of the quote “No two people ever read the same book.” Which I tell myself constantly during book club when I am sitting there thinking “is it just me?”

Comments welcomed. Well, how about encouraged …? Would you believe, demanded ? [grin]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,073 other followers