Ashfield: I’m getting better at this …

Ashfield… my library author talks, I mean.

Biggest audience yet, at Ashfield Library. Pissing with rain – but happily not until I and the audience were all inside. Then the heavens opened and down it came: I stopped in the middle of a word and gazed open-mouthed at the windows that formed one of the walls. So did everyone else (gaze, I mean … they weren’t talking !), because it bucketed down like anything. Woe. Still, I had had the foresight to buy a new folding umbrella; and according to M.R. luck, that should have  meant no rain at all. Didn’t work, did it ?!   😦

I’d had to restructure a bit, as this Library organiser had a finite amount of time available (I gave the talk in a Council room, and it was wanted not long after). Also, I spoke faster – but it didn’t appear to be too fast, as I didn’t spot any expressions of puzzlement or “Huh?”-ness. (If you like that, you may borrow it: but do remember to return it when you’ve finished, yes ?)

Loud applause from all, and the presentation of what you see in the photo. LUCKY ME !

Only prob. was getting it home on the train and the tram and the umbrella and the incessant rain. I managed but.

Some more libraries added to the list, remaining only to be confirmed. At this rate I’ll be giving my talk from a bathchair.   [grin]

Advertisements

52 thoughts on “Ashfield: I’m getting better at this …

1. bkpyett 24/03/2014 / 6:15 pm

Lucky you getting the rain!! we’re still waiting….
    You are certainly doing well with your talks, and hopefully sales!

2. M. R. 24/03/2014 / 6:17 pm

Naah: library people aren’t there to buy. I think four copies were sold today – which was much like the previous one. I do these because I just love to talk about the genesis of the book. And probably because I’m a showoff.
    [grin]

3. bikerchick57 24/03/2014 / 9:46 pm

And a lovely time was had by all! 🙂 Did the flowers make it home OK?

4. emeraldwake 24/03/2014 / 10:10 pm

lovely flowers M.R are the same as Your soul ,Bless

5. Andrew 24/03/2014 / 10:30 pm

So public speaking is now officially fun and easy? Lovely floral presentation, M.R. Shame they don’t buy more books. Have you considered locking the door and taking hostages until they cough up?

6. sixdegreesphotography 24/03/2014 / 10:41 pm

I don’t even own an umbrella.. Four sold is four more copies of your words in someone’s library.. I think That’s A-OK!!

7. whisperinggums 24/03/2014 / 11:14 pm

Well done, MR … and what gorgeous, cheery, flowers.

8. Dixie Minor 25/03/2014 / 1:20 am

Sounds like a great morning! That is wonderful that you are doing library talks. I love libraries, all kinds of libraries, and rain! Thank you for the “Huh?”-ness phrase; that was great!

9. Jackie 25/03/2014 / 1:40 am

Glad to hear all went well! The flowers are gorgeous. 🙂

10. Patrizia M. 25/03/2014 / 2:53 am

Mi fa piacere che tutto sia andato bene, bravissima Margaret Rose.
    Bellissimi i fiori 🙂
    Ciao, Pat

11. Elaine @ foodbod 25/03/2014 / 4:30 am

Beautiful flowers and well deserved I’m sure! I’d so love to come to one of your talks, I bet there’s lots of laughter ☺️ X

12. lgtangible1 25/03/2014 / 5:29 am

I love the byline “I’m getting better at this!” Just can’t imagine u being bad at anything M.R. I’ve been out of pocket for a few days but had to come by and check up on you!

13. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:37 am

H’indeed ! You see ’em on a teeny shelf in the loungeroom. Dunno if I should be taking them out of that box ? Somehow I don’t think so. But I dunno how to water ’em. 😐

14. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:39 am

This is A Serious Matter, Andrew: kindly do not make me laugh !!! 😀

15. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:40 am

My view entirely, Lynne ! I say to the audiences that I don’t care if no-one buys a single copy, as long as they READ IT from the library ! And that’s absolutely true. 🙂

16. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:42 am

Thanks, Sue ! – they’re looking bright and cheery in the lit dark out there in the loungeroom right now.
    Whose idea was it to have Daylight Saving going on to April? – without a doubt, some multinational corporation …

17. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:43 am

Thank you, my Pink friend ! 😀

18. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:45 am

Totally agree about libraries, Dixie ! I spent my first 4 years out of school working in two libraries, and I have never forgotten either of ’em.
    🙂

19. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:46 am

Such colours, eh, Jackie ? Thanks, me old china !

20. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:46 am

Grazie bella – è una nuova parte della mia vita …

21. katarinawohlfart 25/03/2014 / 5:47 am

It´s so nice that the bookthing start picking up. 🙂

22. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:49 am

True. In fact, of course, I set out to amuse. The audiences seem to willing to be tickled …
    🙂
    Thanks, Elaine !!!

23. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 5:57 am

MORE CRAFTING, LENNA ! [grin]
    Thanks a lot – appreciated ! Even more so when you post some patterns for those terrific kitchen items … 😀

24. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 6:00 am

You must be psychic, beautiful Janet ! – crotons are a passion with me !!!!
    Alas, the tragedy is that I can’t have ANY: they are deadly to pets that eat them; and for the most perverse of reasons, Lui has chewed every croton I’ve brought into the place. I’ve tried placing them everywhere: nothing works. He manages to get at ’em no matter what. So all I can do is dream about them and enjoy picture of them – like yours ! X !

25. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 6:01 am

It is, Katarina ! – I enjoy it so much ! It must be that I’m a showoff, I think … [grin]
    All signs of the virus gone ?

26. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 6:16 am

Quite true ! And you’ve passed that point … 😀

27. bikerchick57 25/03/2014 / 6:51 am

Is the box water resistant? You could put them in the tub and give them a gentle shower. :-p

28. katarinawohlfart 25/03/2014 / 6:52 am

Yes it is gone, and I can gladely inform you that I succesfully managed to do an AMAZING (grin) video dedicated to you, interviewing Martin about his work on Astrid y Gaston. 🙂

29. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 6:54 am

I believe that when it’s light enough to clearly see (currently the sun is rising AFTER SEVEN !) I shall remove the wrapping paper and see what I can see …

30. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 6:55 am

Can hardly wait !! [HUGE grin]
    I must have some breakfast first, as I am starving, and then I’ll go to my Inbox.
    You are so kind, my dear – this is truly appreciated !

31. elleturner4 25/03/2014 / 7:02 am

Will be borrowing “huh?”-ness from now until next Tuesday….you may have it back then! And thank you! 😉

32. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 7:26 am

Just don’t misuse it, OK? – I don’t want my goods returned damaged !
    😀

33. elleturner4 25/03/2014 / 7:29 am

As if!! I’ll even do a portrait of it for you! 😉

34. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 7:32 am

In yer own hand ? Like all the … erhmm … characters ?
    Hmm … I do hope I recognise it. [grins insultingly]

35. elleturner4 25/03/2014 / 7:35 am

Patience my dear….wait and see! 😉

36. katarinawohlfart 25/03/2014 / 7:38 am

Oh sorry. It will be up tomorrow 12.00 Swedish time. I takes a loath of time to upload to youtube, the size is about 250mb so.. I am doing that right now.

37. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 7:48 am

Then I shall look forward to it LATER !
    X !

38. whisperinggums 25/03/2014 / 8:07 am

You won’t get me complaining! I love daylight saving. Loved the year it started early for the Olympics. Who cares for dark mornings if you can have lighter evenings?

39. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 8:09 am

I’m an early to rise and early to bed person. One area where Stringer and I differed, as he was the opposite. It didn’t matter a whole shitload though, and I would simply go to bed with the/a cat, and he would sit up and watch telly. 🙂

40. whisperinggums 25/03/2014 / 9:16 am

I used to be like that but have shifted. I don’t sleep in but don’t get up very early. I am often up though way after midnight. Don’t seem to need a lot if sleep these days.

41. Lignum Draco 25/03/2014 / 11:57 am

Hi your HUH?-ness, you’re referring to yesterday? That was not rain but a deluge of epic proportions.

42. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 11:58 am

So I found out on the noos last night ! But it weren’t like that in Ashfield, that’s all I can say … 😐

43. Elizabeth Krall 25/03/2014 / 9:06 pm

Onya! You can soon be setting up as an after-dinner speaker, which probably pays better than the library gigs. 😉 (And I’ve got agree with LD, that was a deluge! My window leaked — on the 14th floor of an office tower in the CBD!)

44. M. R. 25/03/2014 / 9:08 pm

Probus couldn’t be less interested in me. It’s as rude an HO as I’ve ever come across. #((&^$@()**^* to them.
    🙂

45. Wandering Iris 01/04/2014 / 11:00 am

If your talks are anything like your writing and comments I bet you had them rolling in the isles. Very pretty flowers, too bad you had to tote them home in the rain.

46. M-R 01/04/2014 / 11:08 am

And today they off to the bin, alas.
    Sighh …