Small pleasures …

Katarina Wohlfart

My Swedish blogging friend (many of you follow her) recently spent 3 months in Peru with her boyfriend Martin, who was carrying out an apprenticeship with a world-class restaurant in Lima.

During this time she let me know that she’d tried at home to get a copy of ATLMD and failed miserably. In fact, as a couple more reviews appeared, she gave vent to a bit of a whinge, that wasn’t anything LIKE as loud a one as I can make when I want to  !   😉

So I had her give me her address and posted one off to her, as she had left in place a direction to her PO to forward any mail to her revered ma.

Weeks passed and the bloody parcel turned up here again !

Katarina then went home, and was able to ascertain that this unhappy event had occurred because what they hadn’t clarified to her was that only LETTERS would be redirected – not parcels. I can only add that the Swedish postal system sounds just like ours (which is in the last stages, currently, and about to be privatised. Our guvmint is one that believes in privatising anything that moves).

So I sent it again, newly packaged because a postal arsehole had scribbled all over the original packaging in biro, a pox upon him/her !

And this-morning I find among my comments a link to an Instagram photo, which has given me such pleasure that I can only share it with you.

Maybe it’s because I’m ancient beyond description, but I find this picture of a beautiful young woman looking happy at having my book in her hands simply wonderful !

Advertisements

97 thoughts on “Small pleasures …

1. sueslaght 14/06/2014 / 6:03 am

I love that photo. although not nearly as young or as cute, I had the same grin when mine arrived. Thankfully not so tough to get in Canada!

2. M-R 14/06/2014 / 6:05 am

I had to send to Andrew in Honkers, too: the world isn’t as modern a place as we tend to think, Sue.
    Well, not in terms of my book’s being available, anyway ! [grin]
    You are so nice to say that ! – I send you a huge hug !!!

3. sueslaght 14/06/2014 / 6:07 am

I love hugs. One coming back to you! 🙂

4. M-R 14/06/2014 / 6:09 am

Are you currently teetering on a cliff-face or anything ? Maybe fording a crocodile-infested river ?
    When I think of the pair of you filling your lives with activity, I am ashamed. But then, it’s horses for courses, eh, Sue ?

5. sueslaght 14/06/2014 / 6:12 am

No just home from grocery shopping M-R. No crocodiles in the seafood section to be dealt with today.
    I’m going wedding dress shopping with my daughter tomorrow! How’s that for excitement? 🙂

6. Patrizia M. 14/06/2014 / 6:14 am

Che bel sorriso, si vede che è proprio contenta di avere ricevuto il tuo libro!!
    Un caro saluto Margaret Rose. Bacione, Pat

7. M-R 14/06/2014 / 6:15 am

I can only imagine (not being a mother myself) that it’s REALLY exciting ! 🙂

8. M-R 14/06/2014 / 6:16 am

Grazie bella ! – mi piacerebbe aver una foto di te … Un giorno forse. 🙂

9. Patrizia M. 14/06/2014 / 6:17 am

Sarà un po’ difficile, io non mi faccio mai fotografare. Ma non si sa mai, chissà 🙂

10. marc bourbon 14/06/2014 / 6:48 am

I wait that a fan of my blog holds one of my photos in the hand…

11. M-R 14/06/2014 / 6:59 am

Well, I happily would, Marc – but there’s no-one to take a photo of me holding your photo ! [grin]

12. marc bourbon 14/06/2014 / 7:04 am

It is nevertheless simple it is enough to put itself in front of a mirror

13. M-R 14/06/2014 / 7:05 am

My camera is not a phone: it’s a Nikon Coolpix that has to be held to the eye.

14. M-R 14/06/2014 / 7:10 am

Marco, what I do NOT know about this camera would fill a book. A very long book …

15. marc bourbon 14/06/2014 / 7:14 am

Just needs to read the small book which is called instructions for use

16. M-R 14/06/2014 / 7:23 am

This I have tried.
    It was not a resounding success.
    At some stage before I disappear for two weeks, I shall try again. Sighhhh …

17. Cteavin 14/06/2014 / 9:00 am

A “Like” can communicate so much, M.R. Just saying.

That’s lovely. Sitting where I am I can imagine the young woman holding up your book as you. Often the stories we tell happen again with slight variations in plot and theme. So a younger you picking up the gauntlet.

18. huntmode 14/06/2014 / 9:01 am

M.R. – I would have clicked “Like” but there’s no like button. Did you dispense with it? Her happiness echoes mine when your book was delivered!

19. M-R 14/06/2014 / 9:03 am

I was fairly good-looking when I was young, Steven – the best version of me is probably to be seen in the footers, where there’s a little slideshow of the film crew where Chic and I met. But I was 34 then, and I think Katarina is in her middle 20s.

20. M-R 14/06/2014 / 9:04 am

Joanne said much the same – it is quite extraordinarily gratifying to be surrounded by so many good-hearted friends, Huntie ! 🙂 A big fat hug to a small skinny person.

21. huntmode 14/06/2014 / 9:52 am

ssshhh – nobody is supposed to know I’m on the slender side. or that you give such big sappy hugs, M.R. 🙂

22. Cteavin 14/06/2014 / 10:47 am

I’ve seen your pics before, luv. You were AND are beautiful. Youth is bounce in the skin and an untamed spirit. As we grow older our skin reveals that spirit’s relationship with the world. Laugh lines define you more than bounce and that won’t change over time.

xo

23. M-R 14/06/2014 / 11:10 am

She makes me feel about a thousand, but without any intention of so doing. And I do derive much pleasure from that clean youthfulness. 🙂

24. M-R 14/06/2014 / 11:12 am

[whispers] OK, Huntie … silly me ..

25. M-R 14/06/2014 / 11:17 am

Well, you should know: takes one to know one. 😎
    So what’s cooking up there – or, alternatively, what’s being photographed? Surely one or the other …?

26. Cteavin 14/06/2014 / 11:30 am

Tons!

I just got back from the farmer’s market down the road. They have carrots with the lush green tops. Those greens make an excellent side. I purchased several kilos of tomatoes, different bitter and salad greens, yada, yada, yada. The basil on my veranda is overflowing, so I’ve started the prep for pesto, I will also, most likely make a carrot top pesto as well.

I’ve been playing with chef’s lye the past month or so, so I have cubed turnips and carrots deliciously browned ready for a fried egg topping and a chunk of french bread. Oh, and handmade pulled noodles.

And my curries!

Spring has all been plants and flowers. Not the most exciting subject. I continue to be interested in the mentally ill and homeless. Not a cheerful subject, so I only posted a few in that post a bit back.

I had planned to go out shooting today, but my kitchen is overflowing. . . . 🙂

Tick, tock; tick, tock. Your sabbatical starts soon, no? Are you getting all the blogging out of you before hand, or are you rolling in that extra cash you earned back from WP? 😉

27. M-R 14/06/2014 / 11:37 am

This time next week will be my first day “off” – I finish up with my Friday night.
    Your interests are what drives you, Steven m’ love: I don’t believe that for you to think the subject isn’t cheerful is reason enough not to write about it. Still, I do think that if you really WANTED to, you would, regardless. You’re not the kind of bloke to hang back shyly, eh ? – thank heavens.
    It’s just that when one is deeply interested in something, it shines through. And maybe that’s why you’re not posting much …

28. redalmados 14/06/2014 / 12:17 pm

Smallpox poor man one post hehe! Do not be mean. A Andalucía arrived without problem but I remember that postal company. Katherina pretty. M-R your book is international. Boom, you’re a wonderful person. A hug

29. Dixie Minor 14/06/2014 / 12:21 pm

What a beautiful picture and a happy ending! I enjoyed the post and also all the comments back and forth afterward. I can certainly tell from pictures that you were and are beautiful! 😊

30. NW Frame of Mind 14/06/2014 / 1:30 pm

Wonderful indeed! What a thoughtful gesture to post a photo enjoying your book. 🙂

31. M-R 14/06/2014 / 2:40 pm

Thank you, Laura ! – I have not seen much of you in the blogosphere of late: probably you are working very hard.

32. M-R 14/06/2014 / 2:40 pm

^^’

33. bkpyett 14/06/2014 / 2:41 pm

What a beautiful photo of Katarina with your book. Glad there was a happy outcome!

34. M-R 14/06/2014 / 2:43 pm

I agree, Paula !

35. M-R 14/06/2014 / 2:44 pm

Isn’t youth beautiful ? I’ve reached that stage of finding it infinitely pleasing. 🙂

36. Cteavin 14/06/2014 / 2:47 pm

Thanks M.R.

I’d taken the break and now am trying to budget my time better. You’ll see what I mean by Monday. 🙂 So less blog writing — I’m still catching up on blog reading (which is why I like the enjoy the LIKE button).

Downpour in 5, 4, 3, 2 — Oh! There it goes.

In about 15 minutes it’ll stop, the sun will scorch, and my hair will ‘fro. 🙂

37. M-R 14/06/2014 / 3:17 pm

Bet it looks good anyway ! How’s the beard ? 😀

38. Anonymous 14/06/2014 / 8:33 pm

I love the never-give-in style of marketing. I need to learn from it. Our government is doing the same thing to dear old Royal Mail.

39. hilarycustancegreen 14/06/2014 / 8:35 pm

I love the never-give-in style of marketing, I must learn from it. Our government is busy selling off dear old Royal Mail.

40. Elaine @ foodbod 14/06/2014 / 8:36 pm

It’s a beautiful photo! I love that your book has gone travelling around the world and has boomeranged back to you – it is Australian after all!!! I’m so glad she got her copy in the end x

41. Cteavin 14/06/2014 / 11:07 pm

I shaved it.

I like compliments. I wasn’t getting any. 🙂 You can tell straight away if someone here likes the way you look. I’m used to daily praise and I wasn’t getting any. The day I shaved I got it back in dividends, along with lots of cell phone photos. Kids. hehehehe

You have a nice day? It’s festival season here. I was in a shrine all afternoon. (Pics coming.) Tomorrow I’m going to hit the Tokyo Toy Show. I have no idea what to expect.

42. kaytisweetlandrasmussen83 15/06/2014 / 4:07 am

Nice that she sent her photo with your book.. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

43. katarinawohlfart 15/06/2014 / 5:25 am

Haha. That photo is a proof why you should use all the instagramfilters you get a hold of to not look like a scarecrow. I started the book today and I am stunned! OMG! It is very good. You are not the person I thought you where, and if you ask me what I mean, I will not answer. It is shocking and lovely at the same time. At some parts (the LSD weirdness thing) I just laugh out loud, realizing that I shouldn´t read this among people.

44. M-R 15/06/2014 / 5:39 am

Your government and mine are hand-in-glove: they think as one. It’s all AUSTERITY, without a second given to wondering about the little man. And, of course, the austerity label is stuck most firmly on to him.

45. M-R 15/06/2014 / 5:39 am

You lost your identity there for a moment, Hilary ! – I’ve just replied to you twice as ‘Anonymous’ ! Any idea what happened ?

46. M-R 15/06/2014 / 5:40 am

Took a while. Cost me a fortune. But I agree; she couldn’t get her hands on it via normal channels, so it was up to me or nuffing.

47. Elaine @ foodbod 15/06/2014 / 5:42 am

Ah, careful, you’re showing your soft side again…

48. M-R 15/06/2014 / 5:46 am

But what FUN, Steven ! So we can look for shots from the shrine and lots of toys.
    [sighs happily]
    I’m grumpy I never saw the beard. 😦

49. M-R 15/06/2014 / 5:51 am

She and I have been blogging friends for many months, Kayti. One of the many good things about blogging is that age is only relative, and blogging clearly shows it. 🙂

50. M-R 15/06/2014 / 5:51 am

[grin]
    X !

51. M-R 15/06/2014 / 5:52 am

I hope she sees your comment, Ritva ! – it will please her.

52. M-R 15/06/2014 / 5:53 am

WOT ? – RUBBISH !

53. M-R 15/06/2014 / 6:32 am

Did you see what Ritva wrote ?

54. M-R 15/06/2014 / 6:35 am

Yep.

55. katarinawohlfart 15/06/2014 / 6:52 am

haha. I could do that since I love your airphotography as well. 🙂

56. bluebee 15/06/2014 / 7:12 am

A good ending to a beginning. 🙂

57. M-R 15/06/2014 / 7:13 am

Well you don’t look it ! [grumble grumble]

58. katarinawohlfart 15/06/2014 / 7:13 am

What? Well I can edited the photo and add wrinkles if you like. :p

59. M-R 15/06/2014 / 7:13 am

Yes, bb – it took us a while there. But it was most definitely worth it ! 🙂

60. M-R 15/06/2014 / 7:14 am

Just accept the compliments gracefully: you’re getting as bad as me ! 😉

61. katarinawohlfart 15/06/2014 / 7:14 am

haha. 🙂 it is the instagram filters, I tell you, get instagram, you will be 34 again! 😉

62. M-R 15/06/2014 / 7:17 am

I wanted to add Instgram to the Sharing buttons, but it isn’t available !

63. katarinawohlfart 15/06/2014 / 7:19 am

haha yes 🙂 thanks. I humbly accept (going to bed snorting at all youth comments, me young, hmpf!)

64. M-R 15/06/2014 / 7:19 am

[grin]
    Sleep well, me ugly friend …

65. M-R 15/06/2014 / 7:20 am

Nono – there’s no Instagram button to select among all the others. I’ve written to Support to ask them.
    GO TO BED.
    You are very old and very ugly.
    There now ! – happy ? 😉

66. katarinawohlfart 15/06/2014 / 7:22 am

Haha. Yes I AM! Correct. 🙂 I have a softside for Marimekko and have at least 4 dresses from them. This is Glada Rocken, don´t know the name in Finnish?! It is from the 60´s (but this is newly produced) and is named “Happy coat” in Swedish. One of the big reasons why I wan´t to go to Finland is to shop Marimekko, well, and also visit the Arabia museum as well.

67. katarinawohlfart 15/06/2014 / 7:24 am

You have instagram then???? what what what. Im staying up to watch that.

68. M-R 15/06/2014 / 7:26 am

NO. I DON’T. Under every post there is a place when you offer to readers the possibility of sending the post to Twitter, Facebook, etc., etc. You choose which ones you want to show, and the rest get lumped under a button called ‘other’. Instagram isn’t in the list.

69. katarinawohlfart 15/06/2014 / 7:31 am

No. It is not. Instagra you share through embedding, if I remember it correctly. You embed the code in the widget. The code you get from your account.

70. M-R 15/06/2014 / 7:35 am

Sighh … Then it’s too much like hard work.

71. elleturner4 16/06/2014 / 1:22 am

Good end to your saga! Huzzah! 😉

72. M-R 16/06/2014 / 5:28 am

H’indeed, Lizzie ! And it bloody WAS a saga – months of it. :-

73. Colleen 16/06/2014 / 11:42 am

Her beautiful smile will be broader once she finishes reading ATLMD. Cheers, Colleen

74. Colleen 16/06/2014 / 11:46 am

Its just dawned on me, I sent a tube of Vegemite to St Tropez and got it back again three months later! Oh dear must be the same system. Groan.

75. M-R 16/06/2014 / 11:47 am

Speriamo, Colleen … :-}

76. M-R 16/06/2014 / 11:50 am

ROTFL !!!
    Vegemite, Colleen ????
    Good GRIEF !

77. Colleen 16/06/2014 / 10:44 pm

A friend lives in St Tropez and she craves vegemite as they can’t seem to find it anywhere in France, so thought I might try to send her some at the price of an arm and leg! Alas to no avail. Been pondering over ROTFL and cant’t come up with anything, please tell me. I’m sure it’s something hilarious. Cheers

78. M-R 17/06/2014 / 5:27 am

Roll On The Floor Laughing
    Colleen ! – that is one of the very earliest I can remember, from ‘way back when Stringer and I were beta-testing Win95 and got to meet lots of online friends … 😀

79. Colleen 17/06/2014 / 9:47 am

I like that. Enjoy this beautiful sunny day M-R.

80. M-R 17/06/2014 / 9:56 am

Irritating but. Bureaucracies: pfuh ! 🙂

81. M-R 17/06/2014 / 10:01 am

Ain’t it just ? – off to Coles now; and after that to await another yummy delivery from Harris Farm.