A year of library talks

Three left to go, as you can see on my events page down at the bottom(ish).

After Castle Hill I’m going to walk away from all that. I think I’ve just about done my dash with publicizing Atlmd via the haranguing of people in libraries.   🙂

Mind you, I’ve been enjoying it mightily: one doesn’t often find oneself with an excuse to stand up in front of small crowds and entertain them … Well, that’s what I’ve been told, I promise ! – happy faces all ’round. I will admit they may have been reflecting hysterical disbelief that anyone could show off to such an extent, of course …   [grin]

Saturday’s and Castle Hill will be the biggest for me – with lots of publicity and a ‘persona’ attached ! My ! Mostly it’s been just me fronting up; laying it on ’em and as often as possible making ’em laugh. These two are far more formal structures, and I’m wondering about The Look, you know …? Sighh … Shoulda started on smallening bloody months ago !

I just wish that you were all here in Sydney so that you could come along and razz me: it would be SUCH fun !   🙂

Advertisements

61 thoughts on “A year of library talks

1. Silver in the Barn 22/10/2014 / 10:51 pm

I have an author friend who does these types of events, M-R. Her philosophy is to dress very simply but wear one fabulous necklace. Which will be completely unnecessary as you will dazzle them with your wit and wisdom.

Liked by 5 people

2. Mary 22/10/2014 / 11:53 pm

Have a great time M.R., I know the audience will certainly get the most from your intimate talk!

3. Paula 23/10/2014 / 12:28 am

I would show up if I was in the vicinity and took decent pics for free.

4. Sue Slaght 23/10/2014 / 12:29 am

I would love to hear you speak to such a group! Best of luck not that you will need it. 🙂

5. narami 23/10/2014 / 12:50 am

I enjoyed this kind of event so much in my college days, I’m sure your audience has been happy 🙂

6. Andrew 23/10/2014 / 1:15 am

As a man born to wear jeans and a T shirt and stand at a decent distance from a razor, I feel eminently qualified to offer sartorial advice. Accessorise. That’s it. Accessorise. I learned it from Ab Fab. Don’t let any personae steal the show. Make them dress lower than you. Sackcloth and ashes would be fine. It’s your party and you can cry if you want to. The invoice is in the post. If you have friends in need of more insightful advice I’m here to help.

Liked by 2 people

7. LadyPinkRose 23/10/2014 / 1:40 am

Best of luck, M-R. Where flowy clothes, with colors that suit you. Be dashing! Yet flowy! There are ways to hide the weight. And if someone judges you for the extra weight, shame on them! How can anyone be anything but charmed with that great smile of yours! Love, Amy

8. kanzensakura 23/10/2014 / 4:10 am

To give you a quote from W.C. Fields as my advice: “If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” I think it is wonderful you are doing this. Keep being you and these events will keep being successful, entertaining, and informative. You go girl!

Liked by 2 people

9. M-R 23/10/2014 / 4:51 am

I’ve already warned ’em that I don’t wear dresses – ever. They didn’t seem to be too fazed …
    [grin]

10. M-R 23/10/2014 / 4:51 am

And I would be looking distinctly nervous at the sight of you … [grin]

11. Elaine @ foodbod 23/10/2014 / 4:57 am

I’d be there at the front of the queue believe me!!!! I’d love to hear you speak, I’m sure there’s far more than a few chuckles around the room 🙂 and don’t worry about the persona, they’re there to listen to you and learn more about you, not assess how you look xx

12. joannesisco 23/10/2014 / 5:05 am

Yes – it would be fun to have a whole crowd of your followers enthusiastically cheering you on from around the room 🙂 I’ll be there in spirit!

13. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:07 am

Thanks, Mary ! – do I take it you don’t want your birthday to be included on the list …?

14. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:08 am

Winding down, now, Sue – and not sorry. The endless public transport has been getting me down a bit …

15. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:08 am

The 2nd-last, at Sutherland, is going to be video-ed !!!

16. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:12 am

Dunno what I’d do without you and your inspiring input, AH … And I’m not sure if they CAN dress lower than me: but at least I shan’t be wearing me jeans ! ‘Tailored trousers’ ? – nup: just pants and a top. Tant pis pour eux. [grin]

17. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:13 am

Thanks, mate ! – appreciated.

18. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:14 am

Are you going to reveal your birthday or not, you horrible woman ?! You are one of the few remaining who hasn’t read any of the posts about birthdays ! Tsk !
    Yesyes, I know you’ve been having traumas, and I really do wish that hadn’t happened to you … truly !
    But I still want your bloody BIRTHDAY ! [grin]

19. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:15 am

I shall be baffling away like anything, Kanzen !!
    😀

20. nonsmokingladybug 23/10/2014 / 5:15 am

yep and you would be thinking “Gosh what is this crazy woman up to” and you would be right to be nervous…I can make all kind of funny faces 🙂

21. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:26 am

You’re quite right, Elaine ! – it’s only the library staff who give a rat’s about that.
    Thanks,darlin …

22. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:27 am

OK: you can commit your spirit to the last THREE !!!
    [grin]
    Thanks, Joanne ! – truly.

23. Sue Slaght 23/10/2014 / 5:27 am

That would be a big downside for sure. Wish we were thereto drive you to your speaking engagements. 🙂

24. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:37 am

There now ! – THAT’s an idea ! Have the pair of you on permanent standby to chauffeur me …
    [grin]
    Oh. Just thought.
    Maybe you were meaning one of these ?:

Liked by 2 people

25. Sue Slaght 23/10/2014 / 5:43 am

Oh you are so funny. Yes we could fold you up into one of those chariot carriers. Imagine the scene we would make with full grown arms sticking out the windows of the wee trailer.

26. LadyPinkRose 23/10/2014 / 7:01 am

*sighs* I didn’t even KNOW about a post regarding birthdays. My head as been spinning tops. You win. My birthday. Must I? Truly? Do I have to tell you the YEAR? How about just the month and day? Will that do? No, I fear not, not for you it won’t. So all this rambling on for nothing because I said about two sentences ago you win, so you do. Here goes …. are you ready? Really ready? *deep breath* *I can do this.* I’m brave.* *GULP* 04-28. There, you got it out of me. Happy now? Don’t forget. I’m still a KID at Heart. GRIN! (((HUGS))) Amy

27. M-R 23/10/2014 / 7:03 am

No, I DIDN’T want the year, you IDIOT ! 🙂

28. LadyPinkRose 23/10/2014 / 7:11 am

*hides head in shame* Oh my! I am an idiot. Scratch the year. Edit my comment. Delete it. PALEEZE! Don’t let my secret out. I’m a kid and nothing but! *down on one knee* You can do it, just edit that comment and no one will be the wiser. I am forever indebted to you now. 🌹

29. Patrizia M. 23/10/2014 / 7:30 am

Sarebbe splendido essere tutti presenti all’evento 🙂
    Ci sarò con il pensiero. Vedrai sarà fantastico!!
    Ciao, un abbraccio e grazie per il post che hai dedicato alle foto delle farfalle!! Pat

30. gerard oosterman 23/10/2014 / 8:12 am

If nothing else, wear RMWilliam boots. That will get their attention and laughter (to boot 😉 ) Have fun.

31. bkpyett 23/10/2014 / 9:37 am

I think you’re amazing to have given talks for the whole year! You’ll miss them. I’m glad the final two are going to be big affairs and to be filmed, Oh MY! What a distinguished author you are!! This can’t be your only book now, just let the next one slowly evolve, no hurry!

Liked by 2 people

32. M-R 23/10/2014 / 10:49 am

I should think so ! [grin]
    Done and dusted.

33. M-R 23/10/2014 / 10:50 am

Di niente bella …
    Grazie delle tue parole, come sempre !

34. M-R 23/10/2014 / 10:51 am

Thanks, Gerard. I would wear RMs if only there were some to fit me.

35. M-R 23/10/2014 / 10:55 am

Ba ! – you know my muse is gone, and long since.
    Just the one story, and it’s out there, wandering about the firmament …
    I should love to be able to write something else; but there’s nothing in my head.
    You’re really nice, though … 🙂

36. Master of Something Yet 23/10/2014 / 4:53 pm

You know that I’d be there. In the back row. Pulling faces. Cheer squad of the first order, I am.

37. M-R 23/10/2014 / 4:55 pm

Yeah, but where are you now ? I just confused your husband dreadfully.

38. M-R 23/10/2014 / 5:00 pm

Then it must’ve been the eldest: he sounded like a man. And he answered using your surname – unusual for a young bloke. 🙂
    Have responded.
    Alles ist in ordnung. 🙂

39. bikerchick57 23/10/2014 / 10:02 pm

I would absolutely love to be able to harass, harangue and razz you in a library. Too bad I live so far away…

40. LadyPinkRose 24/10/2014 / 12:47 am

Thank you thank you thank you. Now I am in your debt. (((HUGS))) Amy

41. M-R 24/10/2014 / 5:17 am

Trouble is, I would end up laughing so much I wouldn’t be able to go on.
    😀

42. Heyjude 24/10/2014 / 9:15 am

Who cares about ‘The Look’ You’ll have them wrapped around your finger the moment you start talking – how can anyone not love you?

43. M-R 24/10/2014 / 9:41 am

I think the answer is ‘easily’, Jude – except for Stringer. 🙂

44. M-R 24/10/2014 / 8:09 pm

Love to, but can’t. I can only do day trips; owing to my cactus lower back, which requires me to sleep in either my own electronically adjustable bed, or a recliner chair. 😦

45. Three Well Beings 25/10/2014 / 3:46 pm

I would have really loved to be there and cheered you on! I can imagine that library talks would definitely deplete your energies over time. To tell your story must take a little piece of your heart every time. I hope this “last” one went very well!

46. M-R 25/10/2014 / 4:32 pm

Thanks, Debra !!
    Tell me, how go the drought situations up there …?

47. hilarycustancegreen 25/10/2014 / 5:59 pm

I am open-mouthed with admiration, as soon as I am in a public ‘me and them’ situation, I can neither think nor speak in anything except a dry monotone and being funny is a distant dream. You don’t need to worry about smallening or clothes or anything for your audience. If you entertain them, and I bet my best fruitcakes that you do, that is all that matters… and they will buy your book. Of course smallening is immensely important for your HEALTH – but that is another subject.

48. beeblu 26/10/2014 / 12:03 pm

I’ve diarised Castle Hill, M-R – wonderful!

49. M-R 26/10/2014 / 5:11 pm

Mostly they don’t. Or should I say, haven’t. The libraries seem to manage to gather people in my own age group, who are thus also living on the age pension. But I don’t mind: as long as the libraries stock the book, I tell ’em, READ it. I couldn’t care less about sales; I just want it read.

50. M-R 26/10/2014 / 5:27 pm

Oh ! – how SUPER, bb !!! Will you promise to come and say hello, please …?