Done the second-last for 2014

… and in truth, the second-last, period.

Yesterday I took another lengthy train trip, down to Sutherland – which has a most delightful library (about to be re-furbished). Eleven people had booked a place, but fewer turned up. It happens, and for a variety of reasons.

My talk was videotaped for the library’s website, and I shall, in due course, embed the talk somewhere here. You will look at it and say something along the lines of “Silly old fart: what a show-off !” and grin; but it does go over well, and my audiences have never been bored. Only once have I had a sleeping member therein, and she was asleep before I’d opened my mouth !

🙂

One more to go, at Castle Hill, at the end of the month.

And then I’m going to call it quits. I’m tired.

I’m especially tired of all the commuting: I get home in a state of absolute exhaustion. Mind you, I do know that one of the goddam medications I have to take is largely responsible for my total lack of energy; but I have to take it and that’s that – I can’t not take it so as to feel more lively, and it is targeted at me because of back pain. One of the disadvantages of moving into the Senility Band …

The result of yesterday’s absence is 5,000,000 email post advices awaiting me. I don’t expect to be able to get on top of them all; but I shall do my best, moving slowly up the list.

And in that regard, as Anthony Mundine, an erstwhile rugby league player here in Sydney and subsequently a boxer of not frightfully celebrated success, was wont to say:

“I LOVE YOUSE ALL !”

Addendum: Amanda of Something to Ponder About has made an extremely salient point: ’twas not Anthony Mundine at all, but Jeff Fenech (who was never a rugby league player) !  This will seem astoundingly unimportant to non-Aussies; but to us it isn’t, as we really should know the correct sources of all the worst Aussie utterances ever made|heard.

[grin]

Advertisements

86 thoughts on “Done the second-last for 2014

1. Sue Slaght 13/11/2014 / 10:33 am

I have no doubt you had a captive audience M-R. Good for you to listen to your body and know when you have pushed enough.
    If any of those email notifications are from my blog please just skip over them. Visit any time when you are rested and up for a chat. Take good care of yourself as that is what is most important.
    The nurse has spoken. 🙂

2. gerard oosterman 13/11/2014 / 11:18 am

More than pleased you found the time to peep at my grandparents wedding. There was soup afterwards I believe. 😉 Hope the nurse with the snapping glove will stay clear of both of us for a while. My eyesight is not getting any better. (whinge of the day)

3. sustainabilitea 13/11/2014 / 12:26 pm

Wow, 5 million email posts! You’re the most popular person I know. 😉

janet

Liked by 2 people

4. de Wets Wild 13/11/2014 / 12:36 pm

I can’t imagine you let the sleeping women get away with it Margaret-Rose!?

5. kanzensakura 13/11/2014 / 1:26 pm

M-R…it’s probably a good thing you let that woman sleep. She obviously would not have been the sort to appreciate a good talk. I know you will be glad to just rest up for a bit before you go on your next whirl of popularity.

6. NW Frame of Mind 13/11/2014 / 1:57 pm

Rest up for your last event, M-R! I’ll be sure to click and watch when you embed today’s link. 🙂

7. sb2711 13/11/2014 / 2:49 pm

Sleep, relax, stay away from the mean machine (your eyes need rest too!) and drink milky tea with ginger. Go girl 🙂

8. Forestwoodfolkart 13/11/2014 / 3:26 pm

I thought that comment came from Jeff Fenech…. they are very similar, so you could be right! Sorry to hear about the lethargy, and hope you get some energy back soon.

9. M-R 13/11/2014 / 4:32 pm

You can take the micky; but you know wot I mean. [grin]

10. M-R 13/11/2014 / 4:32 pm

I have indeed prevented a couple of oldies from having a pleasant snooze, Dries … [grin]

11. M-R 13/11/2014 / 4:33 pm

NO MORE, she cried.
    Have I ever asked you where you live ? If not, where do you live ? If I have, tell me again. [grin]

12. M-R 13/11/2014 / 4:35 pm

You may regret it. However, ve shell zee … 😀

13. M-R 13/11/2014 / 4:35 pm

Chai masala ? Or a lesser combo, Sucheta ?

14. M-R 13/11/2014 / 4:36 pm

Shit, you’re RIGHT, Amanda ! Bugger me !
    I shall change it, with attribution !
    Thanks very much !!!!!

15. Master of Something Yet 13/11/2014 / 4:43 pm

Hm. To comment (and cause you more work) or not to comment (and leave you wondering if I’m ignoring you)?
    Well, given I have not contributed to your 5m post emails, here’s a comment but no reply is necessary:
    The speaker circuit shall be the poorer for your absence but you have done your bit and are now entitled to retire. Rest up. But not too long because I definitely want to see you in action on that video!

16. sb2711 13/11/2014 / 4:55 pm

A dash of ginger and a bit of cardamom will do MR 🙂 Just boil tea leaves in milk and water with proportion of your choice, grate a bit of ginger and put a pod of cardamom. Boil again and add sugar. 🙂

17. M-R 13/11/2014 / 4:56 pm

I grow restively anxious about it, in truth, H …

18. M-R 13/11/2014 / 4:57 pm

I’ll think about the sugar. I must check out the calorific difference between it and honey …

19. sb2711 13/11/2014 / 5:02 pm

You can always have it without sugar or honey. Or just put a tiny pinch of sugar instead of teaspoons. Calorie checked and in control 😀

20. Master of Something Yet 13/11/2014 / 5:06 pm

I have no doubt it will be wonderfully witty, incredibly informative and fantastically fascinating.
    But I am not one to talk. I have a couple of dvds of plays I’ve been in and I’ve never been able to bring myself to watch them.

21. Forestwoodfolkart 13/11/2014 / 5:09 pm

Any time, M.R…. You have corrected me a few times too, so we can be each other’s minders!!!

22. M-R 13/11/2014 / 5:23 pm

Yes. That’s what I’m restive about – that possibility …

23. M-R 13/11/2014 / 5:24 pm

Oh, but I’m just being a smart-arse. [grin]

24. Master of Something Yet 13/11/2014 / 5:32 pm

Only natural. But someone recently said of your library talks “it does go over well, and … audiences have never been bored.” So stop resting… er… restiving…. er… Oh, just stop worrying about it. Everyone will love it. 🙂

25. Elaine @ foodbod 13/11/2014 / 5:57 pm

I’m not bothered who said the quote, the intention and meaning is all that matters x

26. Andrew 13/11/2014 / 6:06 pm

Perhaps you need more food for energy, M-R. You might want to lose a brick or two but don’t overdo it. Softly softly catchee monkey.

27. bkpyett 13/11/2014 / 7:47 pm

Maybe they both said it! Glad you have only one more library talk to give, it does sound exhausting. What a lot of posts you go through, wow, I think that would be exhausting too!

28. M-R 13/11/2014 / 8:39 pm

Stop being so bloody NICE ! – it’s unsettling …
    [grin]
    X !

29. M-R 13/11/2014 / 8:43 pm

No; I’ve been like this for months and months, Andrew – and I can definitely link it to the time I started taking these damned pills. Too much of a coincidence.
    I am about to re-think the weight control methdology, as I just watched a v. interesting scientific program about lo-carb eating.

30. M-R 13/11/2014 / 8:44 pm

Only sometimes, Ba …

31. Master of Something Yet 13/11/2014 / 8:55 pm

Well, if you’d stop being so bloody pathetic, I wouldn’t feel the need to be so nice. 😛

32. M-R 13/11/2014 / 8:58 pm

YES ! – you’re fuckin right !!!!!
    [M-R gives H a very large hug and rushes away]

33. Jackie 13/11/2014 / 10:23 pm

Well, one thing’s for sure I’m not one of the 5,000,000 emails letting you know I have a new post! 😉

34. kanzensakura 13/11/2014 / 10:49 pm

I am in Richmond, Virginia. It’s a little north of where I was raised. It’s taken me a bit to get used to these tamer, more neutralized Southerners. Where are you other than Oz?

35. bikerchick57 13/11/2014 / 11:25 pm

Yeah, what the Master said…happy email reads and enjoy your remaining library appearance.

36. Julie 14/11/2014 / 3:15 am

Les voyages forment la jeunesse … 😉 Bonne soirée Margaret-Rose !

37. ventisqueras 14/11/2014 / 3:16 am

la tua auto-ironia è semplicemente grandiosa! sei una simpaticissima amica Margherita.Rosa
    ti ringrazio di esserci e ti abbraccio

38. elleturner4 14/11/2014 / 3:40 am

How long have you been doing these ‘ere talks? Sounds exhausting just thinking about it! 🙂

39. Mary 14/11/2014 / 4:18 am

I am looking forward to seeing your talk M.R., I’ll bet it’s great and well received!! It’s not wonder you are tired when you get back home, speaking is always exhausting (preparation, talk, respond to questions and be on your game before, during and after).

40. M-R 14/11/2014 / 5:46 am

And I am reading it !!!

41. M-R 14/11/2014 / 5:48 am

In Sidder-Knee. My parents had a friend who lived in Richmond Va – his name was Hal Nemuth, and he was a small, gentle man whom they’d met when the US Navy had been posted to Perth at the end of the war.

42. M-R 14/11/2014 / 5:49 am

Hope so – I’m one of four writers being presented as “A Feast of Speakers” !

43. M-R 14/11/2014 / 5:59 am

Merci Julie mon amie !

44. M-R 14/11/2014 / 5:59 am

Come va, Annalisa ? Benissimo, spero …
    🙂

45. M-R 14/11/2014 / 6:06 am

On and off all this year, Lizzie – spaced out (me too !).

46. M-R 14/11/2014 / 6:09 am

Dunno that *I* am, Mary … We’ll see …

47. kanzensakura 14/11/2014 / 8:04 am

It is truly a small world. That is a great detail. I shall google Sidder-Knee. I like to know things, especially about people I like.

48. kanzensakura 14/11/2014 / 8:06 am

Duh, it just hit me…Sidney! I’ve been there!

49. Leya 14/11/2014 / 8:40 am

Some tea would be nice, and some massage maybe? I’m often tired these days, and I eat Arctic Root not to be. It works. It’s grown in Lapland and in Iceland it’s particularly strong. You should try it if you can find it down under!

50. M-R 14/11/2014 / 9:09 am

I am doing a play on sounds, here, Kanzen – when the Spanish bloke announced the winner of the next Olympics site: it was his accent that changed ‘Sydney’ into ‘Sidder-Knee’. [grin]

51. M-R 14/11/2014 / 9:09 am

And you liked it …?

52. M-R 14/11/2014 / 9:11 am

What does it taste like ? – revolting ??

53. Leya 14/11/2014 / 9:21 am

Ha, ha, I swallow them – no taste…

54. hilarycustancegreen 14/11/2014 / 9:46 am

You are now responsible for adding a blog (Paula) to my list (something I swore I would not do, as I cannot keep up with the ones I have). I would love a piece of virgin territory and a challenge. I am responsible for depleting Amazon UK’s stock of ATLMD for my friends for Christmas.

55. M-R 14/11/2014 / 11:46 am

OK, pills then. Bloody expensive. Not surprising …

56. M-R 14/11/2014 / 11:48 am

If I had friends, I would be doing the same for any of your books, because I know perfectly well that they must be at least as delightful as their author.

57. kanzensakura 14/11/2014 / 12:21 pm

Yes I did. I visited several places and enjoyed them all.

58. M-R 14/11/2014 / 3:34 pm

Goob.
    😀

59. Wandering Iris 14/11/2014 / 6:26 pm

I anxiously await your video 🙂 AFTER you take a break, rest up, have a nice cup of tea.

60. M-R 14/11/2014 / 6:29 pm

I wish I were still making good tea, Iris: I think perhaps I need to find a wonderful leaf that’s JUST RIGHT for me !

61. Lignum Draco 14/11/2014 / 8:23 pm

Perhaps the talk could be loaded to CD or youtube, and in that way, distributed to libraries and target audiences, or are you reliant on audience interaction?

Youse – “shudder”.

62. M-R 14/11/2014 / 8:50 pm

There wouldn’t BE any audiences without a speaker.
    As for youse – it’s a joke, Joyce ! [grin]

63. kanzensakura 15/11/2014 / 12:51 am

Liked the folk I came into contact as well – independent, feisty. Couldn’t quite get into Vegemite but tried several times. Was overwhelmed by the beauty of the coast, waves I still see in my dreams. No wonder the belief of Dream Time coming about. Was taken on, I'[m sure, a rather sanitized “tour” of the Outback, on horseback, camped out for several days. M-R, you live in an astounding land. I wish I could have stayed longer than 2 weeks and have been able to return. I was often chided about my weakness for Australian engineers who were applying for licensure in the States and particulars, Virginia. The phone would ring and that….accent come forth from the phone asking questions about applying. I’d become all grins and give more information than necessary just for that tiny bit of re-connection. In fact, I became the “special” engineer reviewer of Aussie, British, Canadian engineers added to my Japanese specilaity..

64. M-R 15/11/2014 / 8:09 am

Oh come now, Irene – you know I was … ahhh … exaggerating a wee bit.
    😀

65. M-R 15/11/2014 / 8:16 am

Well, come back immediately, my tiny mate !! – and I’ll do my best to give you an Aussie hug (although I may find to difficult to bend down that far) … [grin]

66. kanzensakura 15/11/2014 / 8:26 am

S’okay. I’ve also become an expert at standing on tiptoe to get hugs. 🙂 ❤

67. M-R 15/11/2014 / 8:27 am

Then I await your return, Kanzen …

68. kanzensakura 15/11/2014 / 9:56 am

I wish. Australia ranks up there with Florence, Osaka, and the Outer Banks (NC) as destinations I have enjoyed most in my life.

69. M-R 15/11/2014 / 11:20 am

But you have an insuperable problem, Hilary: you’re not a complete idiot !!!!
    😀

70. Three Well Beings 15/11/2014 / 3:57 pm

I only have 2,500,000 email notifications and I can’t keep up. So I hope you’ll just remember you catch everyone at some point–a few posts just have to slip through the fingers! I do hope you’ll post your library talk with possible. I would be so pleased to “be there” with you. I can really understand the need for a break and hope you will be able to sit back and recharge a bit!

71. M-R 15/11/2014 / 5:04 pm

I honestly doubt it, Debra: I think I’ve done my dash with these talks. It would only be if someone popped out of the woodwork and asked me …

72. M-R 15/11/2014 / 8:59 pm

We are definitely approaching that time when I leap through your screen and throttle you, then disappear just as quickly.
    [grin]

73. whisperinggums 16/11/2014 / 7:32 pm

A shame that these tire you out MR as I bet you are good value for libraries and their audiences. I can imagine it’s hard yakka though and if you are an unknown author, it’s hard for libraries to get people out I suspect. A shame, because people often don’t know what they are missing.

Are you getting many sales from these?

74. M-R 16/11/2014 / 8:44 pm

Nope. But they’re not my aim: as long as the library has the book on the shelves, I believe the people who don’t buy the book will borrow it, Sue – and that’s all that I want … for people to read about Chic. 🙂

75. whisperinggums 16/11/2014 / 9:02 pm

Well, then, I reckon your talking will encourage people to read and then they’ll tell their friends. 🙂

76. M-R 16/11/2014 / 9:10 pm