- Chop finely a 10cm piece of ginger
- Chop up 2 medium (ripe) tomatoes
- Chop up half an onion
- Chop up 3 cloves garlic
- Drain/rinse 1½ cans (c. 540g) chickpeas
- Oil into pan, add onion garlic and ginger
- Sauté for a few minutes
- Add 2 tsps curry paste
- Add 1 tsp garam masala
- Add seasoning
- Stir and cook for a minute or two until fragrant
- Add chopped tomatoes
- Cook for a few minutes until they start to break down
- Shake wildly then add full can (c. 400mls) coconut milk
- Stir; bring to the boil, lower heat to medium
- Add chickpeas, cook for 7’-10’
- Taste, adjust as necessary
- Squeeze lemon juice only over portion/s to be eaten – NOT over any remaining for another meal !
Coupla things to note: remember the seasoning. I forgot it – often do – and had to add it to the portion on my plate. Doesn’t work as well as when it’s cooked in.
Don’t bother to peel the ginger. I got this tip from the beautiful Alison Roman in her recipe for “The Stew”; and it works fine any time the dish you’re making will be cooked for a while. Let us all give thanks to Alison ! :)
Oh; and btw – don’t reheat leftovers in the microwave. It tries to turn the chickpeas into popcorn. [grin]
There’s a link to the video of the bloke from whom I got this, under the recipe’s name.