Should I apologize for my single-mindedness ? – naah.
I’ve completely rearranged my pantry so that my spices & stuff now have their own section; and have fallen in love with cooking new recipes all the time. Only problem is storage; and I’m about to run out of room in the frig and the freezer. Will be obliged to stop cooking for a while. :\
Bean, Potato & Vegetables Bake
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 large potatoes, 1 red capsicum and 1 large-ish zucchini, all cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 or so large-ish button mushrooms, halved
- 400g tin whichever beans you like best, drained and probably rinsed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsps smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder OR 1 long red chilli, sliced
- black pepper
- 75g cheddar, grated
- 3 pieces dark chocolate, bashed to bits with the base of your cooking knife (or whatever)
- Fresh parsley to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C
- Spread the diced potatoes out in a large casserole or baking dish, add the oil and toss. Roast, tossing again halfway, for 50 minutes or until the cubes are starting to get crisp.
- Add all of the vegetables to the dish, along with the kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, and spices. Season generously, and mix well to combine. Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and the tomatoes have formed a rich sauce.
- Scatter the chocolate and stir it well in; then top with the grated cheese and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Serve topped with parsley if desired.
This one created a real storage problem, as I wanted to keep it the more-or-less single layer it was cooked in. Had to leave it to go totally cold, and could then pick the remaining three-quarters in three sort of solid bits; each went onto a dinner-plate, into a big freezer bag and then into the frig. So now you know why storage is at a premium !
I think I’ll have to invest in those foil food-keepers with lids that Nigella uses so much. Reusable and all, and not plastic – win|win, right ? Besides, they don’t take up as much room as the plastic ones do, so I could cook, like, more .. [grin]
Oh yes: note that this dish takes a tad under 1¾ hours to cook, allowing for the taking out of the oven and steaming up the specs and swearing, stirring, and returning to the oven again (X 2) ..