I went to a shop that sells bulk foods, a couple of weeks ago, and bought (inter plura alia) half a kilo of small sort of green lentils. Today I decided it was time to cook the little buggers – not the whole ½k ! – and found in my recipe files the following:
Borlotti & Lentil Casserole
Prep: 10’ – Cook: 1 hr 30’ – Servings: 6 portions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum,finely chopped
- parsley – stalks chopped fine, leaves rough
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsps smoked paprika
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- tin chopped tomatoes
- tin borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g puy lentils, rinsed
- tsp Massel vegetable stock powder
- 3 squares dark chocolate
- In a large casserole heat the oil and add the onion, leek, pepper, parsley stalks, garlic, chilli and spices. Fry gently for 4-5 minutes, adding a little water if the mixture gets too dry.
- Add the tomatoes, then refill the empty tin with water, tip this into the pan, re-fill it again to half-way and add this too.
- Tip in the borlottis, lentils, stock cube and chocolate, stir, then bring to the boil.
- Turn down to low, cover and cook for 1½—2 hours until the lentils are tender and sauce has thickened. Remove the lid for a while if there’s too much liquid. Taste and season with salt and black pepper.
- Stir through the parsley just before serving, and top with sour cream.
OK. That’s the recipe and here is my dinner a little while ago:
See the sort of hazy part inside the right-hand top quadrant ? – that’s steam. :)
Because I’m strange, I had it with couscous rather than rice; and I can tell you from my own somewhat gluttonous experience that it tastes very nice indeed !
HOWEVER ! See what I put in red text ? – the cooking time ? Well, I dunno what lentils are like where this recipe comes from (and I have zero memory of where I found it), but my small more-or-less-green lentils were perfectly cooked in half an hour ! So please keep in mind – should you, like me, like the sound of lentils and borlottis together – to keep tabs on your cooking time, yes ?
And if you do, you’ll derive as much enjoyment from this yummy and healthy vegetarian meal as I did. And will ..