This is another new recipe !
I worked out that the stress is only there if I’m cooking for Others. When doing it alone, I give myself a big finger-wagging lecture about being stupid, and it really seems to help ! :D
I do not recall how I came upon this INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS vege recipe, but I can only thank all the gods for having done so: I consider this to be the most tasty meal I have ever made. Anyone heard muttering anything like “but the bar is so low !” will be sent to coventry forever.
It’s a fragrant curry, not a hot one: I can’t eat hot any more (sob !) ..
UTTERLY DELICIOUS Cauliflower Curry
- a whole cauliflower
- 3 garlic cloves
- 10g piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp curry powder/paste
- 1 lemon
- 2 red onions
- 60g small mixed nuts
- can coconut milk
- can tinned tomatoes, chopped
- can chickpeas
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1 red chilli
- 35ml vegetable oil
- seasoning to taste
- Chop the cauliflower and discard all stalk*; peel the onions, cut them in half and slice thinly; peel and chop the garlic small; grate the ginger; finely chop the chilli; grate and juice the lemon.
- In a large heavy-based saucepan sauté the onions in the oil for some minutes on a low heat; then add the nuts and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chilli, garlic, ginger, ground cumin, paprika and curry powder/paste; cook on a low heat for 1 minute, stirring as you cook.
- Add the coconut milk and the chopped tomatoes, stir in.
- Add the grated lemon rind and juice.
- Bring it to the boil, season with some salt and plenty of black pepper, then add the cauliflower pieces and the drained chickpeas.
- Cook gently for 20—25 minutes until the cauliflower is just cooked.
- Add the spinach, stir through and cook another few minutes.
Serve on basmati. The juice alone is sheer heaven.
*You’re going to need the space in the saucepan ! :D
I think the secret is the lemon juice. But whose nose ?, as Stringer was wont to ask. :)
The whole of the ingredients combine to make a vegetarian dish that ANY carnivore would eat with relish and follow with a bit of lip-smacking.
OTY, then ..