Cooked this last night, having included another packet of fiendishly expensive Cyprus Halloumi in my Coles delivery order –
And btw, please note:
From experience I can say that anything else isn’t of necessity rubbish, but in general a bit less solid. Chacun (à) son goût. Including whether to use the preposition.
Two packets are a bit more than required, and I did have difficulty getting it all marinated .. should’ve left some out. :\
Spiced haloumi pasta
- 300g cooked short pasta (Too much, imnsho: I used 275g, and frankly it should be 250g. Penne lisce are my go-to short pasta.)
- 400g haloumi
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 fresh curry leaves (I dropped in a number of dried ones)<*>
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 tbsps chopped parsley
- Cut the haloumi into 1cm cubes. Toss it in 1 tbsp oil and all of the dry spices.
- Heat the other tbsp oil in a large (and deep !) frypan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until softened.
- Add the haloumi and curry leaves, and cook until haloumi is golden. (This is problematical, inasmuch as it’s just been tossed in turmeric .. I played it by ear)
- Add the tomatoes and chilli flakes, then bring to the boil.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir in the pasta and cook until heated through.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the parsley.
- Divide among bowls and serve with mango chutney.
My change for next time will be to (1) add another half tin of tomatoes: were you to cook this exactly as listed, definitely use TWO cans ! – and, almost more importantly, to (2) use a bigger bloody pan !!!
I was amazed at how delicious this recipe is ! Throughout the evening, in fact, I kept hoping that Boodie would get off my lap so that I could return to the scene of the crime, the pan of .. THIS STUFF, and have another forkful.
Alas that I have no idea how it’s going to re-heat: I think I’ll have to add some evoo and stir it in well. But in spite of reducing the amount of pasta – thank heavens ! – and of having nibbled at it several times, I have another three meals in storage thinggies in the fridge.
BIG success ! :)
It reheated in the microwave brilliantly: I didn’t even need to stir it ! Must’ve been the spiced oil, of course .. D’ohhh ..
Now only two meals left.
<*>I must find out how to grow a curry leaf plant !